<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Thursday, June 12, 2003
 
Category: Islandos Malvinos
I am currently reading a television play commissioned by the BBC around 20 years ago called The Falklands Play. It was initially difficult for the playwright, Ian Curteis, to research as many of the key players refused to deal with a "man from the BBC" because of perceived failings in the Beeb's coverage of the Falklands war. Eventually, research complete, Curteis produced a fourth draft in April 1986 and production was ready to commence with shooting pencilled in for January and February 1987. In the intervening months, production was cancelled, some say it was political, some say the play was utter rubbish. Last year, the twentieth anniversary of the Falklands, the play finally appeared on the BBC's barely watched Digital BBC4. Near as I can tell, it also appeared on Radio 4. I wonder how Beebwatch and Biased BBC would have covered this story in 1986 had they been around.

Has this play been broadcast in Australia? I would love to see it. For mine, it reads quite well but I am not providing the production costs.

I hope this isn't all old news to Tram Town readers. I was certainly not a BBC follower back in the 80's and I did not take any Brit newspapers so I knew nothing of it.



Powered by Blogger