<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Friday, June 10, 2005
 
Category: JP2
I hadn't noticed this article in the Oz by Rosemary Neill but I was appalled by the dumb disconnect between bans on contraceptives and monogamy. It is as if they think the (old) Pope was saying "Don't fuck around, but if you do don't use rubber johnnys". What he was saying was "don't fuck around if you do you have commited a sin no greater or less than fucking around and using a condom". That is my interpretation as a devout atheist. I think it is a bit like a follower of Judaism having a ham and cheese sandwich. Is it any more wrong to mix meat and dairy than it is to be eating pig?
Now I am way out of my theological depth here but Rosemary is also gasping for air with her suggestion (indirectly but there nonetheless) that 'the church's position could be "a crime against humanity"'. The church quite rightly believes that if you AND your partner follow its teachings you are extremely unlikely to be exposed to STDs.
A TCS article makes the observation 'Pinning such blame for the tragedy of African AIDS on one man is one of those ideas that is, in the words of George Orwell, "so stupid that only intellectuals could believe them"'.
It's to be commended that governements tell a sensible story:
ABC stands for Abstain, Be faithful, or use Condoms if A and B are not practiced. Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni preaches the ABC of AIDS with the fervour of an evangelist. "I am not in favour of condoms in primary and even secondary schools... Let condoms be a last resort," he said recently at an international AIDS conference in his capital, Kampala. "I have grown-up children and my policy was to frighten them out of undisciplined sex. I started talking to them from the age of 13, telling them to concentrate on their studies, that the time would come for sex"
but we shouldn't expect the Roman church to abandon its teachings. Just One Guy's Opinion™.


Powered by Blogger