<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Thursday, October 27, 2005
 
Category: Melbourne
Many of us are very sad to see that the Dallas Brooks Hall is to be pulled down and replaced with an office/apartment building. Google is shows a surprising paucity of information on this magnificent concert venue, this exception would have been a must see had I been a few years older.
I have some very specific memories including Aunty Jack and the Gong in Bloody Concert for which I still have the program. My parents took me and it was an extra night at the end of a run and cost $2 per person entry! My parents and I were both the oldest and youngest people there. I reckon I learnt a bit about theatre from that show. Thanks mum (and dad if he were still here).
A few years later the Phlorescent Leach and Eddie toured and I went to that with Gus Till (i'm guessing 1975). My father was there to pick us up and came in for the end of the concert and was dissappointed that they used "language".
Quite a few years later we saw Jonathon Richman play the first half of a double act with John Cale. To DB's disgust, three of us left after the first half.
About six years ago I dropped my wife and two boys off to see the Wiggles. It may have been enjoyable for the boys but my wife's opinion of the theatrical skills of the Wiggles was not repeatable.
It's a lovely place and I hope they have a few farewell concerts before it is pulled down.


Powered by Blogger