<$BlogRSDURL$>
Tram Town
Monday, November 21, 2005
 
Category: Audio Snake Oil
I had to buy an optical Toslink (or more properly EIAJ optical) cable from Jaycar and before going down there (about 1km east of here) I checked out existence and cost on the website. Imagine my surprise to discover the following amazing facts:
  • These are high performance non-migration interconnection cables utilising 99.96% pure OFC
  • 24 carat hard gold plated contacts
OFC, by the way, is oxygen free copper which is going to be a bit of a problem given that the cable is meant to convey information in the optical spectra. Gold plated contacts, while very attractive, would appear to be less than perfect (unless very thin as on astronauts' helmets) as a high efficiency conductor of light.
I mentioned these little observations to the salesguy and he said that I might imagine how embarrassing it is to work there.
I wanted the cable to ensure my Foxtel {d,D}igital upgrade goes as smoothly as possible. That is happening tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!


Powered by Blogger